Monday, May 18, 2020

MY FIRST DAY OUT INTO THE NEW WORLD


       

         Our Malaysian PM announced last week that our Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) will be extended till June 9th. OHHH… mercy me, I cannot “tahan” (endure) anymore of this. We have been on partial lock down since 18th March and this bird wants her life back. 

        So, after an hour of qigong and a hearty breakfast (with the CMCO, I even have time to arrange the cherry tomatoes), I drove out to do the essentials of life.

                                               Roads were still empty. 


    There was hardly anyone around, maybe it was still too early at 8.45 am to be pumping petrol.

          Covid-19 has definitely brought changes into our lives. Masks are compulsory, QR codes have to be scanned and personal particulars filled online before we can even enter any shopping mall. Temperatures taken, queue again for social distancing as the stores limit the number of customers inside. 


       PATIENCE MAKES A MAN, but I am a WO(man).  I know all this is absolutely compulsory for OUR own good, so that contact tracing can be done effectively. But will life EVER be the same again? 

        I went to my favourite hawker in Jalan Bukit, Section 12 to take away his "yummylicious" fried noodles for lunch, AHHH…. Social distancing again, I just want a packet of noodles, pleeassee..!! This Uncle is the grouchiest man alive and the CMCO has not made him any nicer. Just order, stand aside, wait and don't utter anything else, that means don't ask for more chilli or less chilli unless you want an earful from him. 


          Then I spent the entire afternoon on the phone with credit card centres and banks to activate forgotten PIN numbers and make online payments. It’s all my fault anyway, growing old and forgetting my PIN numbers. The girls at customer service should be given medals having to deal with an IT challenged woman with statements and questions like, “Where is the icon ah, top bottom, left or right? I don’t see any sign that says services, are you sure it is on this page? Stay with me please as I am logging  into my internet banking now OK. What code is coming through my phone now? Where do I type the code in the computer ah? Sorry Cik (Miss), it is not working lah, am I suppose to type it in once or twice?” Seriously, even I was getting mad at my own stupidity!! GOD BLESS THOSE DEAR GIRLS having to deal with a frantic woman. If it had been me at customer service dealing with such "idiots," I would have unplugged the phone. It would have meant loosing my job or my sanity and jumping out of the window!!

Then Typhoon Thory heard a Food Panda Delivery outside the gate and to my surprise, 

Savvy K had ordered a dozen glazed doughnuts. 


        She knows they are my favourite as I cannot “tahan” the fancy ones. “Mummy, just get your coffee and eat one, I also ordered mocha almond frapa.” "It is no point changing your PIN numbers cos' by tonight when we go out for dinner, you would have forgotten the new ones." Daughters are very critical of their mothers, that's all I will say!! It is a miracle if we do not argue for a day


         I felt some anxieties diffusing out of my little body as the first doughnut glided into my esophagus. I think more anxieties will be released as I bite into the second one, and by the fourth doughnut, I should be thoroughly relaxed.

8 comments:

  1. Your lockdown is MUCH more rigorous than ours.
    We are slowly opening up again (and I do hope it is not too soon).
    You can keep the donuts though. Krispy Creme opened in my city a few years ago and quickly closed again for lack of custom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donuts are popular here, we have Krispy Kreme, J. Co, Big Apple Donuts, Dunkin Donuts and Mister Donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we organised any public event and it involved donuts, the donuts will go very fast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here too, maybe cos there are so many varieties with different fillings

      Delete
  4. Yes things have change and continue. But even getting out for bit is good for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh Krsipy Kreme.. We only have Big Apple here.

    ReplyDelete