Wednesday, May 6, 2020

BEAN SPROUTS WILL SPROUT AS THEY PLEASE



        Growing bean sprouts in a kettle is ingenious. This lady is ecstatic, she keeps saying “really beautiful!” She is pulling out sprouts like a magician pulling out rabbits from his hat. Really, it is endless. She is so cute and "gushing" about her sprouts. It's just sour grapes foe me. If I had kettle sprouts like her, I ll be bragging till thy kingdom come.

        Bean sprouts are a versatile vegetable and eaten raw or cooked, they contain good antioxidant, protein and vitamin content. The magic phrase is “they are very low in calories.” With the current lock down, partial lock down, circuit breaker or whatever else each country wants to call it, people have started to grow their own vegetables. There has been a host of videos on sprouting mung beans from kettles

to  plastic bottles

        Doesn't it look so easy? I imagine even the school kids do this as a class project. Surely a scientist like myself should produce quite delectable sprouts. Thus, Project Sprouting Sprouts 101 started:

       Day 1 – soaking the mung beans and the roots appeared. Experiment going good.


        Day 2 and 3 –  sprouting as planned, one project by the window with sunlight and another in the dark next to my bathroom. We scientists take no chances, you know Murphy's Law - "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." We need Controls, double-blind tests and experiments in duplicates.



        Day 4 – Disaster I think, my sprouts were as skinny as the size 0 models on the runway. And the one in the glass bottle smelt like they grew in Shrek s swamp.


        So I had URGENT “whats app conferencing” with my travel bugs. Both ME and Kim showed me the sprouts they had grown. OH…I WAS AS GREEN AS THE MUNG BEANS. They were LONG, FAT and JUICY. 
ME's fat sprouts

        They said they used the same mung beans, and from the same supermarket brand too. Something’s fishy here, I think ME got her beans from the stranger that sold beans to Jack (remember Jack and the beanstalk).

Kim's sprouts standing at attention

 KIM said I was daft growing them in the sun, they are to be grown in the dark. ME added that I was even more stupid as sprouts need drainage and if left them in even a bit of water, they rot. But I did followed their SOPs (standard operating procedures) strictly.

        Ahh ... yet ..Project 101 failed, perhaps it is time to hang up my lab coat.

        NOTE: To rub it in (my sprout sprouting skills) further, Kim sent me this video of sprouts doing the ballet with the caption, “how your sprouts growing ah?”

   
 “Who needs enemies when you have friends like these.”


No comments:

Post a Comment