Sunday, December 27, 2020

TUA DE LANGKAWI

Tis was not the Tour de Langkawi but the Tua de Langkawi.  "Tua" in Bahasa Malaysia means old. And aptly so, as everyone was well over 60 years! It started as a class reunion for Sahoca College, Class of 73 in Kedah. It was at least 40+ years since the group were in school together. I was invited to join although I did not study with them.

We were happily relaxing in the resort when some robust able-bodies declared, "Hey, we have bicycles here, why don't we just cycle  to the Beach." I could instantaneously feel the rush of …NOT adrenaline...but trepidation surging through the group. But did we admit that the most strenuous exercise some of us do was hanging up the laundry or changing a light bulb. NOOO, our pride got in the way, and everyone gave a resounding, "What a great idea!" Not all joined in the Tua de Langkawi. But I am never one to decline a challenge, although I had never been on a bicycle seat for well over 30 years. 

So Tua de Langkawi had an official wave off for 14 of us into the paddy fields for a warm up. A significant start as the Tour de France originated primarily from a field in France. Then came the real deal up the hills of Langkawi. I had to get off and push my bike. Oh, my weak pathetic lungs, my bronchioles were over worked. The exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide was not going as well as expected.
    To add more pain to my already tormented body, the fitter bodies breezed passed me ringing their bells and giving the thumbs up. They were peddling like they were doing a Sunday ride, laughing and ribbing each other. These athletes frequently participate in cycling expeditions around the world. I was huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf trying to blow the straw house down. But, I remained strong. With rests at many bus stops and coconut water quenchers by the road side stall, I peddled on with a smile, albeit a strained one.
When I saw the scenery change from coconut tress to casuarina, I knew the end was near. I puffed up by chest (or breasts to be more precise), put on a victory smile and rang my bell as I cycled into the cheers and whistles. Then, when no one was looking, I struggled, staggered and collapsed onto the beach. Thankfully not beneath my bike. 
A buffet picnic on “menkuang” (screw pine leaves) mats was already laid out for us. 
Tour de France is a 3,500 km race over 23 days. Tua de Langkawi was gruelling, 30km in one morning. 
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

11 comments:

  1. Hooray .. finally managed to break the record after never cycling for 30 years !. I read it with pleasure ... you made it to the beach.
    Happy holidays, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I did not fall off the bike. TQ and happy New year to you

      Delete
  2. i can imagine how so fun that old guys do cycling together, ah i want to join too, i like bicycle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we were a bunch of oldies having some fun and showing we are still young

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I am waiting for the weather to be nice in my country then I will be able to ride on bike: D 😍😍 Fun and good for body:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another few months and it will be Spring for you to enjoy the outdoors

      Delete
  4. Boa tarde meu querido amigo, obrigado pelas maravilhosas imagens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracias, it was fun but very tiring

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting to see Langkawi! I was there about 20 years ago and it's one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Thanks for taking me back to one of my favorite places. Wishes for good health and happiness in 2021. Glad we've met in BlogLand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will have to return to Malaysia and Langkawi. It is still sunny here with lots more good food.

    ReplyDelete