Thursday, December 3, 2020

MY, OH, MY MARVELLOUS MASKS 😷

Janice, in her heydays, was a corporate whizz in Ford. She then moved into finance and she can crunch numbers like I crunch chips. When I plodded in the lab with my mice and rabbits, she was hobnobbing. 

 With the lockdown, Jan texted me about her new endeavour - sewing masks. It was a huge surprise cos' I have not seen Janice pick up needle and thread, and we have been friends since we were 19.

 She explained her mission impossible (to me at least, making masks needs patience and some degree of sewing skills):

1. She HAND-stitches parts of every mask.

2. The mask are made with 3 layers of fabric with a pocket to slip in a surgical mask for added protection.

3. All masks come with black garter loops. How cool and trendy.

3. The masks are reversible with different patterns. 

WHAT...she has got to be kidding me! She texted, "OK, I'll  sew some for you."

On Nov 6th, she texted me with this message. Wooo...weee, masks on the waaayyyy.

On Nov 23rd, another updated message, landed in Malaysia!

On Nov 24th, the parcel arrived and I was NOT taxed for it.  Gizmo Man got it from the postman and snooped around until I opened it. "WHAT, your friend made these herself? Wahhh, very good-ah."

TQ Janice, the masks are beautiful and the stitching is so fine, even and delicate. She used batik, floral and polka dot materials. Some masks are brillante red on the other side.

 As the masks are reversible, I'll wear this RED side when I want to be a traffic stopper. 
Dressed up like a traffic light with NO WHERE TO GO.
 So, I might as well hang the laundry in style. "Thory, you PHOTO BOMED me."
  I'll wear this purple polka dot one with my purple hat, and go out in the rain.
Guess who is wearing this black polka dot mask everyday now - Gizmo Man!
Janice even made my masks smaller to fit my petite face like I asked her to. A perfect fit! 
She also made 3 larger ones for another friend. Hmmm, those fit me too so I'll keep them ALL. Haha... joking Jan, I'll pass the larger masks to Connie.
 I will treasure these masks forever like how I'll treasure our friendship too. 
See you in Malaysia Janice when borders are opened. 
I don't care who your dad is, this is an illegal gathering. 
Every one is NOT wearing masks. 
"DENDA" (FINE) RM 1000 (245 USD; 184 British Pound) each.
Janice sewed this for her hubby who will only wear black. Asian men SELDOM wear floral or pastels, unlike Caucasians who wear all sorts of patterns and cartoon masks.

5 comments:

  1. my older sister also collects many types of masks. from colors to cartoon characters like Doraemon, it's so cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a WONDERFUL gift.
    I love the final cartoon as well. (and the piddling photobomber is cute too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did get photo-bombed didn't I. He had to pee at that exact moment.

      Delete