Tuesday, May 25, 2021

WHY WOULD A LIZARD GO GROCERY SHOPPING?

 I guess with lockdown and partial lock down, we all need to stock up. This monitor lizard in Thailand decided it has had enough of catching prey for food.What can be easier than getting meals in a supermarket? Or dropping into homes for comfort food?Now this is one animal that knew what to do during lockdown - eat and slumber along.Sighted at Raymond Island, Victoria, Australia.

Coco lives in an animal rescue sanctuary for lost, unwanted or abandoned animals. It was  apprehensive when the Wees went for their monthly visits. Coco came out quickly from its cubby hole when it saw the sweet corn and sunflower seed treats. Coco stayed with the Wees for 10 years enjoying eggs and bread with peanut butter. But Coco was a real diva with its repertoire of screeches and screams for attention. 









Sharon now runs Animal Rescue.


A thirsty macaw gets his own drink of coconut water. Macaws have walnut-size brains but they are the second most intelligent parrots. 
So here is a clever macaw taking its bath in the kitchen sink. My my, why do I still have to yell at Savvy K to take her bath? A macaw's intelligence has been reported to be  comparable to primates. Absolutely true!
My neighbourhood receives plenty of visitors who do not believe in social distancing. 
Baby monkeys saying "Hello" just outside window.
This frog came and stuck itself right on the glass door. 
Snakes are very popular where I live. 
We get about one catch of snakes every month.  But the monitor lizards really love it here. These bulky creatures can actually scale walls and fences. This one gave me a good scare when I came face-to-face with it during my morning walk. I screamed,
  it scrambled over the fence. Another one climbed into my garden. Thory went ballistic, I think I almost "pengsan" (fainted)! I had to handle a monster lizard and a rabid dog that was going for a KILL. The monster would have killed Thory instead, so I had no alternative but used a bamboo pole and push it back into my neighbour's yard. 
Sorry Neighbour!!
But, scientists in Mahidol University, Thailand are investigating the medicinal properties in the blood of these monitor lizards. They reckon that their immune system which allows them to inhabit in polluted waters and devour rotted meat (Yikes!, in the wild)  holds a key to tackle cancer, bacteria and viruses.  
Amazingly, preliminary results showed proteins in their blood samples stop cancer cell growth. Ah ha, their future research concentrates on these proteins against Covid-19.  Monitor lizards may be the key to unlock this pandemic. 
Sorry my friends, I treated you so unwelcomingly. Next time I will let you roam freely but, please don't eat my Thory. 

20 comments:

  1. Hooray for animal rescue centres the world over.
    Monitor lizards are killers? I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will welcome Coco and the Macaw but no thanks to the snakes or lizards, they are scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Nancy, snakes are scary. I am used to the lizard

      Delete
  3. I would have never thought those lizards were able to scale walls and fences. Actually, it is not pleasant to see those animals in your garden, although they are not so dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Giorgio until I saw one climb a fence myself.

      Delete
  4. Boa tarde. Eu imagino o susto que eu levaria com a primeira foto se eu estivesse nesse lugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I didn't like the snake pics (I don't like snakes, they are scary!) I did enjoy the other photos! The lizard in the store made me giggle! :)

    Hope you are having a nice week :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look like a clumbsy lizard climbing up the shelves.

      Delete
  6. We don't have such big lizard

    ReplyDelete
  7. agak scary kalau reptilianya jalan jalan ke kota kak, ular apalagi....aku sangat takut ular, lizard masih mending

    tapi ular begitu menakutkan

    tapi agak lucu lihat monyet bisa mengintip di jendela, begitupula koala dan burung kakaktua yang so cute ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramai orang juga takut ular dan biawak. Di tempat saya, banyak monyet melawat dan curi makanan kami.

      Delete
  8. Great photo's thanks for sharing them.
    Are the lizards really that big, they are huge, I get scared over a little mouse, don't know what I would do coming face to face with that lizard. Faint!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lizards that visit us range from little ones to huge monsters. We have become quite familiar with them.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely, they could have some remedy, but that shouldn't be a threat to this species. Once people know it has value, it could be poached. I could have got a heart attack if I see something like that on my wall. Glad you saved the dog and the lizard. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many animals have medicinal properties. you are so right Jeevan to say that humans will poached animals. We need to protect them.

      Delete
  10. Very very interesting post - i enjoyed it ...wow. And that lizard...whoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ. I hate snakes but I don't mind the lizards

      Delete
  11. Wow!A variety of animals. Nice pictures, self explanatory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww...scary lizard.... I saw on TV about lizard in the grocery...

    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete