Thursday, May 13, 2021

Rangoon Creepers

are stunning. They are a mass of colour tumbling down like a brilliant Turkish lamp,
or a carpet of inflorescent blooms spread out like an Oriental carpet.
Scientifically classified as Combretum indicum, these tropical vines are really hardy plants which hang beautifully over fences as seen on my neighbour's rails. 

Used to be found only in secondary forests of SE Asia, 
I am pleased that they have been naturalised as garden plants. Not only are they eye-catching, they also emit a strong sweet fragrance.


I have planted them in my back yard for added colour among the greens.
There is actually a reason the flowers are tri-coloured with age - white, pink and red. Starting with white blooms at night to attract hawkmoths with long tongues for pollination. Day 2 sees the blooms changing to pink and then finally red for the birds and bees who are also attracted by the fragrance.
These are the blooms hanging down in my back yard. Took me many months of  great effort to keep pushing the vines upwards using a ladder and poles. My neighbours were horrified to see me climb up my 7 feet ladder and seemingly wave bamboo poles and keep balance simultaneously. I admit it was fool hardy but I knew what I wanted.

Lo and behold, my
persistence paid off. 
The rangoon creepers have crept really high up almost 20 feet and entwined themselves around my palm tree .














Mornings are now so much more beautiful with a view and fragrance

8 comments:

  1. They are very, very beautiful and I am glad that your hard (and dangerous) work paid off.
    I love the drinking/sharing ants too - yet again we could learn from the so called lesser species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ, it is really nice to see them trailing down from the palms

      Delete
  2. wow beautiful plant - love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rangoon creepers are indeed lovely huge bunches of colour

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. TQ, pretty to look and lovely to smell too

      Delete
  4. These are especially 'bonito' as there are 3 colours in one bunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers are beautiful, thanks for sharing the photo's. Ants are so smart aren't they.

    ReplyDelete