Sunday, October 4, 2020

ADVERTISEMENTS OF YESTERYEARS

 
       It's the real thing Coke - 1968. I was reading some Reader’s Digest magazines from the 1960s - 1980s during the weekend. The articles were interesting, but what really caught my attention was the advertisements from that era. Some were quite similar to today's advertisements with only differences in how the models look. 

I remember this NESPRAY SMILE from 1982. It was the ONE SMILE that many school kids tried to perfect with every glass of milk. 

The ROLEX advert with Yo-Yo Ma has not changed much except that 

Rolex now has many brand ambassadors.

I don't think this one with Queen Victoria will read well today.

   Some of the adverts in the 60s and 80s will definitely not be seen during this era. 

    Who uses traveller's cheques now? We live in the paperless era where a wave of our credit cards or deduction from our e-wallets will take care of business.

Some adverts will look so out of place and comical 😂 today.

I am not so sure that siting in a particular chair makes one a VIP or CEO. 
Yikes, some will be cringe-worthy today,
     Others will definitely be a NO NO today where body shaming is not entertained. Remember the chaos when Kate Moss said, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." 🏹
I am not sure how this one will go down today.  A minor RIOT maybe 💣. 
But this one is quite priceless and can stand well yesteryear and today. 

3 comments:

  1. What a fascinating wander down memory lane. You are right, some advertisements have just been updated, and some (gladly) have gone for good.
    Mind you, I rarely focus on the ads. I find them irritating.
    And body shaming continues, though it is often more subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your efforts to collect old advertisements that make today's young generation familiar with these advertisements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends parents had datsun pick up.

    ReplyDelete