Friday, April 24, 2020

Savvy K is 24 today, and I have to BAKE A CAKE


       
 Yeah, another Lockdown Birthday. In our family, we have had 6 birthdays with compulsory celebrations at home, 5 in April itself. And a baby girl born on April 16th. Today, Savvy K completes her 2nd cycle in the Rat year. The Rat is the first animal in the Chinese zodiac sign. They supposedly have smart minds, good adaptability and little persistence. That’s my Girl.


         Got up at 6.15 am to bake a cake. What’s the big deal? Well, I bake as often as the equinoxes and solstices in a year. That is, ONLY TWICE. My baking skills are …er… pathetic (that’s being kind), my icing skills do not exist and it is always a miracle if the cakes are cooked inside. People say, “I feel like baking something now,” and Presto .. the cake is out of the oven smelling good. 
         I say “I think I ‘ll bake tomorrow.” So I have to get a good night’s sleep to be fully rested, dig out my baking paraphernalia from various cupboards, find a recipe I can manage and check if the flour has gone past the expiry date. Remember, mummy used to line the tray first, so I better stick to old baking rules.

How big is a medium size egg? Where is my flour…what’s that thingy called, a flour sieve? No, I just googled it, it’s a flour sifter. 

Poke it to see if the cake is done, where is my “poker?” Never mind, a satay stick will do. Oh … this is getting traumatic.

 OH NO, the cake is stuck to the tray cos’ I had forgotten to grease the bottom. It’s OK, just stick the pieces together carefully. 

There, DONE, next baking challenge in July for Gizmo man’s birthday.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAVVY K
 YOU ARE THE BEST


2 comments:

  1. This is so funny Kestrel! I am no baker either and have to rev myself up for any attempt. Flour always stale with weevils in it! Though can't get flour in the supermarkets at the moment anyway. Everyone has gone baking mad! My children hate me for never having baked them a birthday cake in their lives...I don't trust myself! Though I do do a mean Lemon Drizzle.... :-). My husband's birthday was the day before Savvy K's - his middle daughter baked her special brownies for him. I failed again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Carol, ha..a baking partner at last. It's sad when even my brother bakes bread for me. We also just ran out of flour in the super markers, looks like everyone is baking except us!! I am sure your husband loved the brownies

    ReplyDelete