Friday, April 17, 2020

ALAN and the Biblical Flood - A Friend with Dedication

      
God allowed the waters to flood the earth as rain poured for 40 days and 40 nights. Noah sent out a dove to look for dry land, and only at the 7th day it returned with a fresh olive leaf in its beak.

    My kitchen flooded for 14 days and 14 nights. It started with a drip along the walls, then a drizzle from the light fixtures and finally a storm as water poured down from the ceiling and walls whenever someone took a bath. A flood of biblical proportions had descended (Genesis chapters 6-9) into the kitchen.

     
    Gordon the plumber was summoned, and I could see the defeat on his face after he scaled up the kitchen ceiling, the outer ceiling, Savvy K’s bathroom ceiling and finally the master bathroom ceiling. “The leak is within the walls,” he announced, “but I can’t tell where, so I have to hack your walls until I find it!” Oh my Godness, that was really reassuring!

    It was time to whatsapp Alan, my handy man who takes care of everything broken, from bed to plugging up holes in my walls.


Alan making a day bed for Savvy Girl's room

You don’t call Alan cos’ he does not answer his phone!! Alan is “brilliant” but definitely not the fastest man to start a job. Actually, this is an understatement, he IS THE SLOWEST MAN to start. For one job, I had to physically go to his house 32 km away, rattled his gate and called him until the neighbours peeped through the windows. Then he sheepishly opened the door, and  closed it immediately. My friend and I were left with our jaws dropping, wondering if he was going to have us wait outside till “thy kingdom come.”

    

My Alan changed the pipes and diligently scooped the flood waters out through the hacks in the walls. A 3-day job and another 5 days for the walls and ceiling to completely dry up (didn’t need a dove to tell me). All’s fixed and looking good now.

 WHY the leaks? Well Gismo man being gadget savvy as always, decided to change the water pump to a more powerful one. In his own words " I want to shower under “Niagara Falls, not under some piss-weak shower raining on me!” Well, the original pipes were not fitted for this new forceful one horsepower gadget he fixed. So two pipes busted. Next time, Gizmo man wants to shower under Niagara Falls, I will buy him an air ticket to Ontario, Canada.

Alan is more a friend than my contractor. Whenever he is here fixing things, we always have lunch together much to Gizmo man’s surprise. “Is your boyfriend having lunch with you again today?” One day when he came home from work, I said, “Alan is having dinner with us.” He rolled his eye balls like the wheel of fortune, but being the gracious host, he offered Alan his best whisky with dinner. Alan and I are now sharing recipes during this MCO period. Shh … Gizmo man does not know, I don’t want his eye balls to go rolling and get stuck up at 12 o’ clock!!


ALAN in his kitchen of a fry pan and gas stove and produces WONDERS

Alan's omelette with Chinese chives
                                                             Alan's steam bean curd and mushroom

Alan's stir fried vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment