Thursday, February 4, 2021

Malaysians EAT WHAT, OK COOK?

       We Malaysians are a HUNGRY bunch. Twelve of us in my Mandarin class had lunch last Chinese New Year. It was a nine-course meal of (top left to right) crabmeat fake shark fin soup, fried fish, steamed glutinous rice with pork floss, steamed prawns, bean curd, broccoli with dried oysters and mushrooms, dessert, stewed pork and "yee sang."

      With a multi-racial population, our food is “rojak” (mixed and matched). Meal times can be a random of Indian curry, Malay sambal and Chinese stir-fry vegetable.

"Rojak" meals suit me real fine as I am just OK COOK. I seldom let the family know what I am dishing up cos’ it seldom tastes like what it is suppose to. Yesterday’s lunch was mee siam (spicy rice vermicelli). Gizmo Man went, “You used glass noodles. How can? Mee siam is with

mee hoon.” Savvy K exclaimed, “it’s the wrong colour, can you please learn from YouTube.” “EXCUSE ME, you two can EAT it or LEAVE it.” So they ATE it. But, not everyone is like OK COOK, many of my friends/family are Master Chef ingredients: 

Drum roll please ... coming at number one is my sister-in-law, Irene Fraude. Did you say you wanted Western,

Italian😋😋? Just ask Irene. You want M'sian "apam balik" pancakes oozing with cream sweet corn? Ask Irene 😍!
Her daughter baked this incredible masterpiece. Ha, this proves cooking genes are heritable!
  Ta-da, coming close at number two is Moo Eng, the 🐳 seafood 🐟 chef . She is equally good in the laboratory and kitchen.

 
Moo Eng even packs
 helluva gourmet work meals.  Wonder if a 😴 snooze 😴 follows such satisfying lunches? Compare this with 
my pathetic lunch. Coffee is not even on.


     My neighbour Sweeny is a patissieredisguised as a pharmacist. She bakes for her family - a good 14 b'day cakes yearly. 

 Prof. Elizabeth makes pretty decent Saturday breakfasts and salads.
Joan prepared a "nasi lemak" (coconut rice) feast which she coloured with "bunga telang," (clitoria ternatea/butterfy pea flower). The fried chicken, "sambal," fried anchovies and peanuts, eggs and "kangkong" (water spinich) complement the rice. A painstaking effort, good j👩‍🎨ob.
Malaysians use the "bunga telang" for a natural blue food colouring. It is a creeper and I have it on my back yard rails.      When any of my dishes come out real tasty, Savvy K advises, “Daddy you better enjoy it, she will never get it right again.” I am not grand on presentations, my food comes from pan to table.

Haha, when the 2 pests hassle me, OK Cook just throws everything in 😝.
     “Oh Mann ... Shhh Daddy, just eat little bit OK. Later when she watching Netflix I heat up pizza for us. Which one you want, Daddy?”
OK daddy, pizza's ready, "cepat makan" before someone eats it.

18 comments:

  1. waw so yummy...i think bread with tomato as it's topping is very cute meal...but i prefer choose something with prawn...😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow.
    So many delicious looking dishes.
    I am pretty woeful on presentation too.
    I am a vegetarian. Himself is not, so each meal requires two dishes.
    Take it or leave it works for me.
    And your tomato sandwich looked pretty good to me - I had one today (with homegrown tomato).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is more work when both have different diets. Savvy K does not take chicken, Gismo Man does not take beef. I am sure your home grown tomatoes taste sweeter!

      Delete
  3. wow yummy I'm really very interested in mie foods.. so i get hungry now haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indonesian has lots of yummy food too. I like nasi padang. Difficult to choose from so many dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makanan Indonesia dan Malaysia hampir mirip2 ya.. Mantap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouw begitu banyak hidangan sedap tersaji disini .., saya langsung lapar melihatnya 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saya pun lapar lihatnya! Indonesia pun ada berbagai hidangan yang saya suka.

      Delete
  7. My mouth is watering. I need google some of these items and see if I can make them. Or the hubby can.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure hubby and you can. Be adventurous, just cut down on the chillies. China town stocks almost everything from spice to sauces now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boa tarde. Que vontade de provar essas delícias.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouw.. so many delicious food.. I am so hungry.. I prefer pasta and nasi lemak, rujak and more..
    How lucky you are, can enjoy tasty all of them..
    Have a nice week
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like nasi lemak for breakfast and it is a nutritious meal too. How fortunate for us.

      Delete
  11. Oh goodness, that all looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete