Sunday, February 21, 2021

FENGHUANG memories from my ARMCHAIR

FENGHUANG BY NIGHT is as colourful as this East Asian mythological bird with feathers of black, white, red, blue and yellow. The males are called Feng and the females Huang and they reigned over all other birds.  Scriptures describe the fenghuang as a fusion of many birds with a rooster’s beak, swallow’s face, the forehead of a fowl, snake’s neck, goose’s goose, tortoise’s back, stag's hindquarters and a fish's tail.

Our Movement Control Order has been extended till March 4th. Presently, we cannot travel out of state unless it is in sickness or death (not our own obviously!). As I rearrange files in my external drives, all these holiday pixs pop up. 
Covid-19 passports may be our only answer to international travel again, but for the moment it is only armchair holidays. 
We arrived at Fenghuang, an ancient country town in Southwest Hunan at night fall on 6th November 2019. 
It was cold and way past dinner time so I wasn’t exactly in a very excitable mood to land in “the most beautiful town” in China. 
Luckily the rooms were beautiful. But before I could snuggle into the hanging chair, …chop chop we were summoned to do the night walk. 
Oh mann, it was 9.30pm already, my extremities were frozen even with cap, thermal socks and gloves. I get real cranky when I am cold!
But, the crankiness ebbed away 
along the corridors 
as the peace and colours of Fenghuang flowed into my veins. 
Fenghuang straddles along 
the pulsating Tuo Jiang River 
which reflects the colours and its architecture
It is looking at mirror images of buildings 
and pagodas 
and lights joined together like identical twins. Look hard to tell when a structure stops and its reflection begins, it's not easy.   Her people were still awake, 
carving their ancient scripts,
 drumming the distant beats
and remembering the bird that that this ancient town was named for.
GANBEI, the night is forever young in Fenghuang.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my. How very, very beautiful. Thank you for taking us traveling down memory lane with you.
    My partner is asleep at the moment, but I will have to ask him whether he saw this beautiful city when he wakes up (some hours away).
    I am sorry that your lockdown has been extended. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he has visited FengHuang, it has maintain its ancient charm

      Delete
  2. I was impressed with the origin of the city name Fenghuang which turned out to be the name of an East Asian bird with colorful feathers. It is interesting mythology about the origin of the city name Fenghuang.
    Your trip with your family in the beautiful city of Fenghuang at night will definitely be a very memorable and unforgettable experience.
    Thank you for sharing and bringing us to travel virtually
    Have a nice week
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq, I too didn't know the significance of the bird with the ancient town until I visited

      Delete
  3. Just heard about covid pass port, and I don't blame anyone on this. I gotten my two shots of madorna.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you are already vaccinated. You can enjoy yr coffee safely, I am only getting mine probably after April

      Delete