Tuesday, June 16, 2020

SPROUTING SUCCESS - WHAT'S STOPPING YOU?

STARTING POINT of all sprout cultures - MAGIC MUNG BEANS
                                  END POINT of all sprout cultures 
              The PROUD SPROUT SALUTE from my travel bugs, Kim's culture 
and Moo Eng's. Oh PLEASE ...they keep posting pixs and getting me all riled up.
 They have fat and juicy bean sprouts and have been showing off their dishes. 
BOO-YAH ... here is Moo Eng’s original fried noodles 
Moo Eng also made chicken curry with bean curd and heaped them onto her "mee hoon" (rice vermicelli noodles) for a robust lunch.
Yep, Moo Eng has now added spring onions to her repertoire of home-grown greens. Spring onions sharing pot with her 15 year-old Japanese bamboo plant. I think her Japanese bamboo needs more nutrients!!

OLE! YUMMY ... Kim’s stir-fried sprouts with prawns and salted fish

I am ashamed to show my SIZE 0 sprouts, they are skinny, limpy and droopy! Worse than Moo Eng's anaemic-looking bamboo plant, my sprouts look like they are in rigor mortis.

      Both Moo Eng and Kim have recently invented a novel way of growing even  crunchier better sprouts - they grow the beans on baby napkins in a colander, with a weight on top. Oh …I am NOT letting them beat me at sprouting. So I tried again and again. Hence, this is Sprouting Sprout Project 4.0. Follow this procedure for successful sprouting.
Day 2: After soaking overnight, place soaked beans on paper/towel/baby napkin (CLEAN UNUSED!) . I use the popular "Good Morning" towel that is so common in Malaysia. Use a colander as the base so water drains off properly and you don't get stinky sprouts grown in stagnant water!
Grow in the dark with a small weight on top. Next to my Qigong book for "qi" (optional).
Day 3: YES, they are alive and sprouting. Run tap water over them twice daily, cover with cloth and keep in the dark
OHHHH… Good Healthy roots. 
Day 4: Ready for harvest
Viola, a bouquet of mung bean sprouts 

HAHAH .. Kim and Moo Eng, see here, who needs a sprout  salute when I have a bouquet! I reckon I ''ll be giving sprout bouquets as presents instead of flowers. So much more practical and functional, don't you think? Flowers wither, but sprout bouquets can be cooked and eaten for the birthday dinner!
So here is Sassy JAM's original no fuss recipe with 0 herbs and 2 spices (if  you consider salt and pepper as spices). Sprouts and grated carrots mixed in wheat flour and water,
and fried in oil.
TA-DA ... how do you like my SPROUT FRITTERS? I got out my favourite plate which my mother gave me, add a dash of flowers and served them for tea. 
Gizmo man was very polite, "Sorry ✋, I am on a diet." 
Savvy K just went, "What is it 😱? I am NOT eating that 🙅‍♀️."
So FULL of nonsense🤦‍♀️ , those two. I ate them myself. The fritters, I mean, not the flowers.
      
 Burp ... EXECUTE me please (that's how Savvy K pronounced "excuse me" when she was little).

Project Sprouting Sprout 6.0 - Got the PROUD SPROUT SALUTE at last. The SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) belongs to Kim and Moo Eng so THANK YOU my Travel Bugs.
NOTE: Sprouts are considered as wonder foods. Rich in fibre, folic acid, Vitamin C  and K. 
Sprouting increases flavonoid and Vitamin C content by 7 and 24 times respectively. 
SO WHAT'S STOPPING YOU FROM SPROUTING?

5 comments:

  1. Those dishes look delicious.
    I am the only one in the house who eats sprouts so I haven't (yet) tried to grow them. You have me thinking though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, funnily lots of people don 't exactly like sprouts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Great, join our sprout fan club, though I think there are not many of us. Sprouts and broccolli go into the same category ..haha

      Delete
  3. Photographs of cultivated sprouts were impressive. Looks thriving. This food made from complementary to vermicelli, I'm sure the food from Jakarta is adapted from this food because it has the same complementary ingredients. In Jakarta it is called with Laksa.

    ReplyDelete