Friday, April 22, 2022

SOME LIKE IT HOT

Eating Hot Pot food is like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. We have three choices to cook our meal, "Some like it MALA HOT (fiery and numbing)  

some like it flavourful with mushrooms 🍄 and some like it plain with winter melon or white raddish." 

Aeons ago when life was simpler, this used to be called steam bowl. A boiling pot of soup on a stove/hot plate was placed in the centre with many different types of sliced meat to be "thrown in" and then "fished out." No fuss! 

My mum made this often and we kids thought it was such fun to dip the meats in and out of the boiling soup. Note to add, it was not a Goldilocks' meal then as there was only one choice - Mama Bear's plain soup.

 Now steam boat has evolved to "fine dining" status where meats are aesthetically presented. The meats are sliced paper thin for instant cooking and  to infuse the different dipping sauces. If the hot pot does not burn you, the prices surely will!



 There is a whole array of sauces to mix from to produce a "bespoked" flavour. 

Veggies presented like floral decorations are not appreciated as they too go for a good scalding.



Presenting the "Goldilocks Combo Hotpot", a meal to satisfy a range of palates.

11 comments:

  1. I like mine flavourful but not numbing. And did really enjoy a steamboat dinner, though the last one I had was years ago. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jadi teringat dongeng Goldilock dan pilihan 3 mangkuk di rumah keluarga Beruang ^___^

    Agree with you. Steamboat nowdays like become a prestige fine dining. Daging diiris dengan sangat tipis seperti kelopak bunga mawar lalu dicelup bumbu marinasi resto dengan kaldu pilihan. Tapi dibanding mushroom aku lebih suka white raddish atau winter melon yang rasanya lebih ringan.

    Have a nice weekend ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kita lebih baik masak dirumah ya - murah dan sedap. Lagi pun, boleh tambah makanan laut

      Delete
  3. Give me the mild one, it all looks so delicious. I try every food, when in China I ate things (did not know what they were), quite liked all of them.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are pretty adventurous. I stay away from "unknown" seafood just in case it gives me the runs. I had yak meat once and that was OK and it took a lot of chewing

      Delete
  4. love the description - ...I would choose "flavorful" and my guy would choose Mala hot - even Supreme Mala Hot. i get one little red paper flake caught in my throat when eating his pasta he mades ..like yesterday..and Im coughing for ten minutes as I'm drinking water to stop the fire. I'm so weak, haha. Love the descriptions and the photos of the delicious looking food. i am more of a vegetarian these days which makes it hard when my husband wants to cook beef. But bring on the pepperoni and sausage on a pizza and I'm grabbing as much of it as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pepperoni in pizzas is heaven on earth. Just pizzas with nothing but cheese are irresistible. I couldn't go vegetarian, I hav tried but the body is weak!

      Delete
  5. All new food to this Canadian girl here but i would definitely need it mild. 😋

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mild even for me, or I ll have to pop some Actal for my gastric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always looove eating at hotpot restaurant 😍😄. There's one my fav in Jakarta, it serves Mongolian hotpot, and the taste is sooooooooo goooood🤤❤️❤️. Its Spicy broth really makes lidah nak terbakar rasanya 🤣..

    But I love it. And yes, it's not the taste that burns my tongue, but the price is🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete