Monday, August 30, 2021

Believe me, I ENTERED HEAVEN'S GATE

Ahhh, but this Gate was not the pearly gates 

with St. Peter checking his book, or laptop as he seems to have embraced technology. For this "Tian Men" I just needed a USD35 or 26 GPB ticket and a strong pair of legs. "Tian Men" means Heaven Gate's Mountain.

It did look like we had reached the doorway to heaven with the morning rays shinning through. Got the goosebumps, it was hard not to imagine the Almighty awaiting us.




Reaching "Heaven" needed sacrifices. We endured the 99 twists and turns uphill in a bus. In Mandarin, the number "9" sounds like "jiu" which means everlasting.  

After this exhilarating ride by which I was ready to vomit, we faced the 999 steps to Heaven's Gate. The 999 steps gave me the heebie jeebies. "Shall I take the escalators or will I join the others climbing to the top?" 

"Sassy JAM, you can do it," Above pix shows the 12 warriors all pumped up to start the 999 steps.

So began our slow ascent as we hyper-ventilated, rested, hung on to the rails 

and climbed. 









At mid-way, the down view showed how far we had progressed.

I was the last one πŸ’ͺto enter Heaven's Gates. Everyone gave me my deserving applause πŸ‘! 
It was  cold and 

misty in "heaven." Our walk along the glass corridors was surreal.
























By the time the sun shone through,

 it was time to go downnnn.... the 99 bends. 
Like an anaconda, the route down was endless, the corners were  treacherously sharp, some even at right angles. But the skilled Chinese bus drivers swung and turned the bus for extra thrills, and probably to give us our money's worth for this roller coaster ride. They chuckled  and winked as we screamed, slid in our seats (no safety belts). 
We entered Heaven's Gate Mountain and returned. 
Now, we will have to try harder to get to "Real Heaven."


Malaysia's Independence Day, August 31 1957
MERDEKA.

22 comments:

  1. Wow.
    I could not do that climb but am super impressed that you did. LOVE, love, love those views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you paid good money to inflict torture on yourself! I have to say, however, the views are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be one way of putting it, but it was a challenge to be met.

      Delete
  3. Oh my!! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it but if I HAD to, I'd rather walk it than ride on a bus! I'd rather be in control. :)
    Thanks for the pictures, they freaked me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can do it, just need some friends to push you onwards

      Delete
  4. Climbing those steps is something I would love to do, but alas, I could not do it now.
    Thanks for the views they are fantastic.
    I am sure you will go through the pearly gates to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I did it 2 years ago before International borders closed. Yes I do hope we can travel again.

      Delete
  5. wow, love the photos - those steps!!! I could not do that. Those views...
    I would be laid out for two weeks if I attempted that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just the moment and the friends spurring me on. I am glad i survived this "heaven."

      Delete
    2. i'm impressed - i so wish not only would i have the opportunity to visit there but that i would have the motivation and ability to do those steps...wow. you have such beautiful areas where you live.

      Delete
  6. I get frustrated about past words.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!!! I love the view!! Fix, will be listed in my bucket list of traveling hahaha. Love love 😘. Walaupun nampak tinggi saat naik melalui tangganya, tapi tak apa, as long as I got the fantastic view up there. Lagipula, melihat surga tak kan semudah itu kan 😁. Butuh hard effort to reach πŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good it is on the bucket list. The views will definitely get you to the top.

      Delete
  8. I think it was the team spirit that gave you the energy to take this uphill task. But I'm sure it's worth trip up and down despite the number of steps and twists and turns of the road. The entire stretch looks terrific, and special driving skill is a must to ride on this road. You got amazing shots !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the trip but I don't think I will do it again. The bus ride up and down was thrilling but super dangerous. Mustn't tempt faith twice

      Delete
  9. What an amazing site to visit! I'm impressed you walked up all of those stairs, I know I could not do it!

    Hope your week is off to a great start :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think almost everyone can do it with lots of encouragement and promise of the amazing views.

      Delete
  10. Oh so amazing I am not sure If I could do this
    Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic place! I wouldn't mind to walk up all of those stairs. Easy to see how those people enjoyed that roller coaster ride.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete