Sunday, March 14, 2021

Mother-in-law’s tongue BLOOMS

 

YES, for me and my family. 

It is uncanny that every one of my 




mother-in-law’s tongue plant is in full bloom. Why uncanny? Becos’ March 15th is my mother-in-law’s first death anniversary. We had this plant (scientifically called Sanseviera trifasciata) commonly known as snake plant growing for 13 years and it has NEVER BLOOM.

 So it was a good surprise to see the pure white flowers. Some are in full bloom, others have fresh buds just sprouting. The flowers can surprisingly last for more than 2 weeks.Yesterday we had prayers at the Gurdwara Sahib Petaling Jaya Sikh Temple. The prayers were limited to family members in accordance with SOPs.

"Bibiji's grandchildren and great grandchildren were at the gurdwara to honour her.



 It was quite empty inside the temple, but all the necessary was done well.  I think "Bibiji" (mother) will be pleased.



 Prayers were followed by a “langar.” 

“Langar” means communal meal/community kitchen. 
After prayer sessions in the gurdwara, free vegetarian meals catered by the family offering the prayers are provided to all who attend, 
including anyone who visits the temple. "Langgar" is offered to everyone regardless of what religion they belong to. People of any religion are welcome into the gurdwara. The prayers were quite long - 2 hours. 
I think I started practising my qigong, so forgive me "bibiji," sometimes this daughter-in-law is just incorrigible.

This morning I woke up to another surprise - my orange jasmine tree was covered with white flowers like it had snowed last night. 
The fragrance is beautiful and it fills the house and garden.
 Maybe it is just time for it to bloom. But, I like to think my mother-in-law is telling us she's happy 

and thanking all her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren for remembering her.
REST WELL "BIBIJI" (seated with red shawl) and "BABAJI."
ALWAYS LOVED and FOREVER REMEMBERED.

13 comments:

  1. What truly beautiful signs to receive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope mother in law is happy with the prayers and "langgar."

      Delete
  2. Boa tarde aqui no Brasil, conhecemos essa planta como Espada de São Jorge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Espada de Sao Jorge in Brazil is much thicker and wider, not skinny like ours here. Thanks to Mr. Google. I must try to plant different different species. TQ

      Delete
  3. benar kak, kalau di Indonesia juga disebutnya lidah mama mertua..ludah mertua..dan di rumah ibuku ada banyak ditanam dalam pot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. namanya aneh2 dah kalau di indonesia

      Delete
    2. Di Malaysia juga, namanya lidah mertua. Harap tanaman di rumah ibu anda dapat banyak bunga yang putih dan cantik

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Good to know the names of the plants in another language. TQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good tribute to your mother-in-law, she is happy up there with her beloved flowers.

    Di negara saya tanaman tersebut juga dinamakan dengan lidah mertua.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found out that the plant is called the mother's in-laws tongue plant. I often see it in the neighborhood around my house.
    With farming to relieve stress and fatigue.
    If the stem with white flowers in Indonesia is called tuberose flower.
    Have a nice weekend
    Regards

    ReplyDelete