Saturday, March 19, 2022

Oh cactus, what BIG flowers you have.

Big fruits must have big flowers to start with. This is the dragon fruit flower, a biggy that I found growing in the back lane of my neighbourhood. 

If it was not so lovely, it could be one of those carnivorous plants big enough to swallow a baby! The fruit starts with this "little" tight green upright bud with red tips. 

which unfolds while reaching for the sky.

Then, the flowers open wide for pollination


 before it sort of bows to the ground, looses its petals and fades for the upright fruit to form at the base.

Fruits wrapped in netting go from green to red.
One bud starting out and another reaching full bloom (about 21 days from bud to flower).
 The other flower fading away to give us the dragon fruit (another 30 days from flower to fruit).  


Living in the city, I was fortunate that I could follow their journey over the 50 plus days.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thing. I am not a fan of the fruit, but the flower is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great post showing the development of the plant from bud to fruit. Makes me wish I had some for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ternyata bunga buah naga sangat cantik ya kak...aku jiga sangat suka buah naga, tapi yang merah. setelah didinginkan di kulkas enak dimakan begitu saja dengan spoon. Atau dibuat ais. Have a nice day ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! Thank you for the 21 day flower to fruit tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And this is my first time seeing the plant of dragon fruit 🤣🤣. I eat the fruits often, but never know the plant form is like..😅.

    Cantiiiiik ternyata ... 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flower. The lesson of the dragon fruit very interesting, did not know it grew on a cactus.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great capture on the progress of the dragon fruit, and I see a patient person behind this! The flower and the fruit are gorgeous, and I'm trying to figure out how big the blossom needs to be to swallow a newborn. Haha
    Have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete